Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Killing Me Softly, indeed!


I posted this incredible album cover on my Facebook page last week, but thought I'd slap her on here as well. I'm just mesmerized by her - the eyes, the tear, the purple blouse, the Farrah flip. She's like the lady painting I've never found.

A bit of background. For the last 18 years, I've been amassing a collection of paintings of women. I started back in college, when I found four canvases with female faces on them priced $.98 each. I hung them in a grouping over my couch and fell in love with the idea of having a whole house full. So, now I have over 80 now, and that's after selling some and giving others away.

Of course, these aren't just any women.

My "lady paintings" have to fit into some very specific parameters. They must be non-professional, and definitely not too perfect. They must have something a bit "off" about them - aka they have to have personality! They can't cost more than $20. (Actually, that was an initial rule I made back in '91; now, with inflation and all, I pay up to $40 - though I do try to lowball as much as I can.)

I'll share some of them with you guys in later blogs. If you just can't wait, head over to the corner of Holly & 11th in East Nashville to Fanny's House of Music, where I have the second location of my vintage business (the first is still at GasLamp). I moved a bunch of my girls over there to decorate the joint, including the over-sized version of Marlene Dietrich in full-on Blue Angel drag that I picked up at the Chelsea Flea Market five or so years ago, as well as the buxom, mantilla-wearing seniorita and a moody homage to Angelica Huston, which are also from the NYC flea (I lived at 15th & 7th Avenue for many years, so I was there every weekend back in the day).

No comments:

Post a Comment