Sunday, July 5, 2009

Paging Madonna!


When I went shopping solo on Thursday morning here in Boise, I found a great little consignment store on Broadway Avenue called Back on the Rack. There was a lot of the regular stuff you find in nicer consignment stores in mid-size cities, including dresses by French Connection and Milly as well as some Chicos stuff and a smattering of vintage.

When I inquired about other stores where I might find more secondhand "rich lady clothes," Linda, the owner, gave me some names (unfortunately, the one she was most certain about having great stuff had closed, or rather, merged into a maternity/baby consignment store) and then asked if I were interested in seeing a Gaultier dress she had in her car trunk that was too fashion-y for her clientele: a frock with a lavender angora sweater top and a black silk jersey skirt with a square yoke. She sold it to me for $25. I need to find a photo of it online, with the right crinoline under it to post, because just shooting it here doesn't do it justice.

If I was excited about the Gaultier, I was ecstatic about the round '80s sunglasses I found under the glass topped counter. Check them out!

They're both mirrored and the lenses are very fragile glass. The silver ones have tight springs at the temples, while the pink ones have blinders on them, which make them even more awesome. They totally look like something Madonna would have worn in her True Blue period - actually, I swear I remember a Herb Ritts snap of her in round glasses. Does anyone else remember that? If you find an image, send it on!



No comments:

Post a Comment