Sunday, July 5, 2009

Secondhand in Sun Valley


Proof that The Universe wants me to continue shopping for cool old stuff for a demi-living: the first of the two annual antique fairs that happen in Hailey, Idaho, was this weekend!

Marie has been more than gracious, allowing me to shop as much as I want on our July 3 trip over to Sun Valley. This is made easier on her, as the drive is really great; it look us from the relative river oasis of Boise through high desert scrub near Mountain Home and then inches up in elevation as you go further north in Sun Valley.

Our first stop was Hailey - the charming rural township made famous by Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, who chose to raise their three girls here during their formative years (the kids', not the adults', in case it wasn't clear). It's charming little town - despite the small airfield where literally dozens of private planes were lined up, having deposited their owners in town for the holiday weekend - made even more appealing to me by the fact that the flea market was the first thing we saw when we got to town. (There was also a so-so Episcopal church thrift, where I did find a pair of very early Giorgio Armani nude suede flats with clear plastic sides and some men's lederhosen suded shorts that fit me like a charm for just $10! Can't wait to put them on with a pair of heels and play like I'm some Southern-fried version of Gwen Stefani.)

I picked up a few really killer pieces,including a fringed leather jacket with sweet floral beading on the yoke and pockets and a buttery fringed leather purse. Check 'em out here, pictured alongside my wallet and phone, which I managed to leave behind. I'm famous for that shit.

Here are more snaps from the show. I loved the Ralph Lauren-esque styling of the clothes in this top shot. I got two pristine 40s printed rayon dresses from this woman, who has been collecting vintage in Sun Valley for 40 years. AMAZING.







No comments:

Post a Comment